Friday, October 26, 2012

Great Book- Wonder by R.J. Palacio

I haven't posted anything in a long time. Life gets busy priorities switch but today I feel compelled to write about a great book I just read called Wonder by R.J. Palacio. This book moved me so much I need to share it with others. The story is great for so many reasons and I will attempt to share some it without giving away to much of the story. It focus is on a young man named August who like all of us is trying to fit in. He goes to a new school in 5th grade. There are people who are super kind to him and others that are mean and really for reasons that just don't make sense. We follow August through this year of school. What is great is we also hear from other characters in the book; two of August's best friends, his sister, his sister's boyfriend and one of her friends. This is a story about learning to accept people that are different but is about so much more. This is book is an easy to read Chapter book so it advertised as 8 and up. But I caution you that I would not let my kids read this on their own. It is a very emotional read and really needs discussion during some of the tough times. I cried 4 different times while reading it and I am an adult- it was tough to not have anyone to talk to about it (probably why I chose to write about it). Pick it up - you won't be sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment