Friday, December 2, 2011

The ups and downs of facebook

Lately I have been really struggling with the idea of deleting my facebook account. The only reason I got it was to be able to connect with high school classmates and plan my reunion. My reunion is done so now what? Do I keep it, do I shorten my friends list? I am so torn.

I like being able to connect with old friends- but I can't help but wonder- just because we connect on facebook - if we never see each other are we really friends? Also I post a lot about my kids, so much so that when I take a picture they ask " are you posting this on facebook" do I really need to over expose them that way?

Also I notice people post a lot about how busy they are, does that make them a better mom, person etc. The sad reality is busyness is not a happiness habit!

Also I wonder - what do I give up when I spending time on facebook: Time with family, time to exercise, time for myself?

Here is a great blog post from a high school student who is a guest poster on Rachel Simmon's blog (Rachel is the author of some great books if you are a mom of girls and also a founder of the Girls Leadership Insitute- a fabulous program!)


http://bit.ly/sxhEYY

I for sure do not want my kids on facebook anytime soon- but what am I modeling for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment